Whether you are new to the topic of addiction, or experienced in dealing with substance use disorders and recovery – there is always more to learn! We have gathered these links to websites with addiction information for you. If you have other favorite online addiction and recovery resources, please share them with us, and we will consider adding them to this growing list.
This page contains links to general information about addiction and substance use disorders, medication-assisted treatment, and news coverage of the opioid epidemic and community recovery efforts. If you’re looking for community treatment resources and support groups, please visit our resources page.
Information about Addiction and Substance Use Disorders, Recovery and Treatment
- What is Addiction? – The definition of addiction, according to the American Psychiatric Association. Includes addiction symptoms and an overview of how treatment can help
- Easy-to-Read Addiction Info – includes sections: What is Addiction?, Do You or a Loved One Have a Drug Use Problem?, Signs of Drug Use and Addiction, How Does Drug Use Become Addiction?, Addiction Risk Factors, Does Addiction Run in Families?, and Why Is It So Hard to Quit Drugs?
- Addiction-ary – A glossary of terms related to addiction and recovery created by the Recovery Research Institute
- Types of Treatment for Substance Use Disorders – Describes the types of treatment available for people with substance use disorders, by SAMHSA (the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Biology of Addiction: How Drugs and Alcohol Hijack the Brain – Why people who are addicted can’t “just stop”
- Smoking Cessation in Recovering Alcoholics – Tips for quitting smoking as a recovering person
- Taking Medicines Safely After Alcohol or Drug Abuse Recovery – Ways to work effectively with your doctors to help support your long-term recovery
Medication Assisted Treatment
- The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment – This is an excellent website if you want to learn more about Buprenorphine, a common medication used to help treat opioid addiction
Addiction and Recovery in the News
- How Race and Class Drive Factors of the Opioid Crisis & Legislation, by Taylor Knopf, North Carolina Health News (a few years old but still relevant today)
- Opioid Overdose: Emergency Treatment is Crucial, but It’s Not Enough, by Maia Szalavitz, Scientific American
- A tale of two epidemics: When COVID-19 and opioid addiction collide, by Peter Grinspoon, Harvard Health Blog